Responsible for leading design of their own projects, and also for overseeing Product Designers’ work that falls within their allocated category / brand portfolio.
The Senior Product Designer will work closely with the Design Director on all Product Design aspects of allocated brand portfolio, including:
• the progression of an idea to concept approval, always ensuring the product has innovative features;
• the actual workings of the product including technical design solutions
• written specifications
• program flowchart and play pattern
• model and off-tool reviews
• ensuring products are designed to meet specific price points and prioritisation of tasks to ensure timelines are adhered to.
- Knowledge and experience of products within the toy industry;
- A strong interest in social and cultural trends and fashions;
- An solid understanding of (but not limited to):- tooling / injection moulding / moulding of hard goods- plastics - material selection, properties and specification- production and assembly of plastic consumer items- basic QA- printing processes- basic pattern-making, sewing and stitching
- Ability to think creatively;
- Ability to think in 3D;
- Basic model making skills;
- Strong sketching skills;
- Methodical and attentive to detail;
- Understanding of patents;
- Excellent computer skills with preferred knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Solidworks;
- Good time management with the ability to work to deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Experience coaching/training others; and
- An ability to build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, Senior Management and external parties.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Relevant tertiary qualification (Product / Industrial Design degree).
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Lead and nurture Product Designers to develop innovative, market-leading design concepts for brands within your portfolio that are on-trend, on price, and suitable for production;
- Provide senior level Product Design guidance and creative input to the allocated brand portfolio;
- Responsible for reviewing and correcting all Specification documents passing through the Product Design department, ensuring accuracy and consistency across all brand item specifications;
- Lead and mentor all factors influencing Product Design; costing, selection of materials, production methods, assembly, new technologies, safety/quality assurance, trends, ergonomics, play pattern, etc.
- Responsible for identifying knowledge gaps and process inefficiencies within the team, and administering training and support;
- Work with external contractors or inventors to review and develop concepts, ensuring that they are feasible for manufacture;
- Work with HK project team and vendors to resolve new product introduction issues, ensuring both mechanism design and electronics assembly are tested/validated correctly;
- Work from our China office and factories at various points throughout Product Development to fast track critical stages and approvals;
- Work with relevant internal parties to ensure all projects are presented to an acceptably high standard for various Toy Fairs and presentations;
- Establish standardised documentation deliverables and timelines for items within allocated brand portfolio;
- Demonstrate the ability to balance and prioritise tasks for all projects within relevant brands; and
- Ensure that product concepts do not infringe on existing patents or trademarks.
Please note: This role requires overseas travel to China to resolve production issues at various points throughout the year. Approximately 6-8 trips per year.
IF INTERESTED, PLEASE APPLY NOW!